The Goodwill Boutique

Y'all!

How do you know you live in a fancy-schmancy town?

You have one of these:

Yes, ma'am! An honest-to-goodness Goodwill BOUTIQUE!

I'd been wanting to visit this one for a while, and last Thursday HJ and I ventured over there. I've been on the lookout for an inexpensive gown for a new project.

Last September, AE went to a darling birthday party where each party guest got to try on a "mermaid costume". My friend made the costume out of an old sequined prom dress! Then she tied a shell to a string to make a necklace.
Look at that smile!

Since Baby C is due this September, AND AE's birthday is also in September, I'm going ahead and beginning the planning process. I'm totally copying my friend's idea and having a mermaid party. (We may invite some pirates, too!)

So this is what we found:

The colors are perfect, and the crocheted material looks like something from under the sea!

Doesn't it shimmer just like a mermaid's tail?

I'll keep you posted on this project, but I'll be honest, since I've got a few months until the party and a few other half-finished projects already, it may be a while until this one gets done!

I'm joining Rhoda today at her Thrifty Treasures party! Go on over and meet some of her thrifty friends.


13 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, little mama! What a perfectly cute idea & you found the ideal dress for that. Such a sweet smile on that girl's face too. Hope you're doing well down there in FL & so glad you came by this week. xoxo

Vintage Remixed said...

Love it! Thanks for stopping by blog my blog. I'm off to look around yours a little more. Have a great evening!

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

What a cute idea for a party!

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

That is going to be darling! What a great idea! Linda

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It's perfect!! :) Love the color too. My oldest wanted a Little Mermaid party for her 4th bday in December. Michaels had TONS of glittery floral picks that looked just like seaweed--keep an eye out. ;) Congrats on your boy...I scrolled down. Thanks for the visit. :)

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

That will make a PERFECT mermaid outfit!

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Very pretty!

Charity said...

OH, my favorite halloween costume was a mermaid one that my mom made. It was just about that shade of green too. You're little girl will be so happy!

Kara Andersen said...

Oh I love, love, love that dress you found. You are right, it's a per-fect mermaid gown! It's beautiful!

Southern Fried Gal said...

I love the idea of a mermaid and pirates party. That green dress will be perfect for that! Too cute!

susanv said...

This is such a cute idea! I may copy this for Claire's next birthday party ... if she is still into the Little Mermaid by then.

Sue said...

While this Goodwill may be called a boutique, ours charges the prices of one! LOL It thinks it is a regular retail store- often times you could buy new for what they charge for some things. Glad you found what you were looking for. Off to check out more of your posts. :-) Sue

Kelee Katillac said...

How cute!!!!

Great idea! Love it...one of my fond memories is when my mom made me a Gypsy outfit for a 4-H talent show.---Out of thrifty stuff.

So sweet and looks like your front yard is full of fun!

Thank-you for visiting too...I loved it!

love, kelee