Dirty Laundry


Am I alone?

Am I alone or does every wife have that ultimate goal of getting every piece of clothing in the house clean, ironed, hung or folded and put in its proper place?

For just one moment, I want everything to be clean and DONE. Everything hung and perfect. Everything smelling wonderful. Everything beautiful. Everything organized and ready to wear. Everything perfect.

Folding laundry last week, I came to terms with the fact that that will never happen. You know why? Because I wear clothes while I do my laundry. My kids wear clothes while I do the laundry. My husband wears clothes while I do the laundry.

There are sheets on the bed. There are towels hanging in the bathroom. There are dishcloths in the kitchen.

You get a load done, turn around and there's something else. Right? And there is always SOMETHING you didn't see that needs to be cleaned.

So am I. What about my sin? Do I think about my sin like the laundry? It's there. I want it all to be gone. I want to be perfect. I want to be clean, but no matter how hard I try, I will never be able to get it all. I will never be able to get it all by myself.

I need Jesus. He is my hope for all that is unclean in me. He can do my dirty laundry in an instant. He took care of it long ago.

Hebrews 13:10-12

We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat. The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp. And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.

My question for you is:

How big does the pile have to get to let go of that vision of perfection?

1 comment:

Kelli said...

I sometimes let the pile of clothes get pretty large. But not too often, because then it's much harder to tackle. I don't mind washing, drying or even folding. It's the putting away that gets me. Knowing that there is joy to be found in the mundane and monotonous things we SAHM's do every day, is what helps me do it again and again. I guess we need to accept that the job of laundry is one that will never be finished.