Closer

Last October, we met our future house looking like this:


Then we cleared her out:

We put in new flooring, then moved our stuff in.

I finally got around to having those chairs reupholstered, AND I bought fabric to make some simple panels for the windows.

I began to make the panels using these directions. That was in March.

Then we began our renovations, and I no longer had the floor room to work with the fabric on the floor. ARGGHHH!

Conclusion: in order to finish making them, I will have to vacuum so The Crazy Dog will not leave his "mark" all over them. He sheds. Like crazy.

Last week our friends Clay and Emily came to visit, so I decided to clean up a little.

In an effort to clear out the baby's room some, I got out my sewing machine, ironing board and yards of half-way done panels and set to work. I did it. I got it done.

But I didn't iron the final product.

The Daddy hung the curtain rod for me late one night, as soon as I finished them.



I even got the urge to hang a few ironstone pieces I've begun collecting.


I just used some ring clips I got from Lou Lou at a Swap 'n Shop to hang them.


I let them puddle just a little bit.

The bench used to be in the front hallway, but now our new king-size headboard is there until the renovations on our new master are done. I would love to use the bench at the foot of our bed, but it may be too short. In that case, it may end up back in the foyer.


I have dreamed about using two Louis ghost chairs at the heads of the table. What do you think?












If you are curious about how I did the panels, Janell @ Isabella and Max Rooms does a THOROUGH tutorial. I'll warn you. She knows what she's doing, she's a perfectionist and she has a million steps. I started out using her instructions, which were great especially when it came to lining up the pattern repeat so both panels would look the same.

When it came to finishing the panels, I got a little closer to The Nester's theory: IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT TO BE BEAUTIFUL!

16 comments:

Tara G. said...

It's lovely and I kind of like the bench there- it'd be a great option when you have more company and you could just add a cushion. I really like the classical/traditional feel!

susanv said...

I really like the bench there. It looks like it could be seating for the other side of the table.
I admire your courage for tackling the draperies. Although I sew a lot, I have not yet taken on this challenge ... working with all that fabric scares me!

Unknown said...

It looks beautiful! Well done, friend!

Carrie said...

Your dinning room is looking so great! I love the new curtains and the ironstone.

Janelle said...

love it! love the fabrics youy chose.
AK is looking with me and said. "i want to go see ae's new house...don't you think that's a good idea?" :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

OH, I'm glad I stopped by to see the DR progress. How pretty those panels are looking & the whole room. You know I love those chairs. Congrats on the progress.

Thanks for stopping by & telling me about your visit to Seattle. That hotel was really cool. Hope you're enjoying your new city!

H-Mama said...

Beautiful!! Great job. Love the fabric... and plates. I'm with you on the Nester's theory. Actually, we kinda have that 'lived in' look. ;) So much for the mental image I have of the magazine cover. Ha!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Love it ALL!! Fantastic job!!

Erin said...

gorgeous! I love the curtains! The whole room is just so inviting.

Megan said...

This is so pretty! I love the colors and simplicity of it all!

Little Lovables said...

it's beautiful!

Sjn said...

I love everything you've done, it all looks very polished and professional!
I'm vising from the Nester's party, nice to meet you!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Everything is beautiful - the curtains turned out great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, professional looking room! I love your paint color--would you be willing to share the name and brand? Kris

phillips phamily said...

Kris-

I'm not sure what the color is because the previous owner painted it. I THINK it is Sherwin Williams' Urban Putty. We have a few buckets of leftover paint in the shed out back and we've used it to do touch ups around the house. That color is in most of our space.

Brittany said...

love pretty much everything about this room, you did an incredible job!