Serving Tray Chalkboard


So, here's a project that has made me visit about 5 thrift stores in the past two days. I'm scouring the earth for more "silver" serving trays that have been neglected. I might even head out today in the deluge with two kids to a fabulous Goodwill in Woodstock.


So it started like this.

Then I bought/had these things.

Next I taped off the area that I wanted to be "chalked".

Then I sprayed it. Here's what it looked like when I removed the paper. Before I put the paper on to guard the sides, I taped with painter's tape to ensure a clean edge.


And there's the final product! We'll use this beauty to announce birthdays, menus (for all our fancy dinner parties) or other holiday greetings.

In retrospect, I would have cleaned the tray better before I started. Like getting the tarnish off. And any little fuzzies. I bought the piece for $7 at the Scott Antique Market when I went with Lou Lou in January. Remember, that's when I met HIM and HER.

Lou Lou and I saw these silver serving trays all done up for much more than the $7 + the paint ($5). So I had an "I can do that!" moment and two months later... well, you know the story.

23 comments:

The Harris' said...

I love it!!!

Lou Lou said...

great.. now I am jealous that I didnt jump on the chalk tray wagon. Now I will be on the search for a tray. I will be calling to borrow some spray paint. you did a great job!!

Lori said...

beautiful, what a fantastic idea! passed along to my mom and sis, we're jumping on the tray wagon too!

Shannon said...

Oh I LOVE this!!! I love silver and I love chalkboard. I will definitely be making this. :) Thanks!

Katie said...

LOVE it! I will be making one soon~ and maybe as gifts too! : )

Hope y'all are well!

the wild raspberry said...

that is too cute!
happy spring to you-
chasity

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

What a great idea!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I really love this! I definately want to try this.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! I'm going to GW tomorrow to get a tray. BTW, thanks for stopping by Casa Petrie!

Elle Jay Bee said...

I love this! I have done this to cheeap dollar store picture frames (after painting the frame cream), but would never have thought of this!!

Your home (and family) is lovely!

Cheers,
Linda

Anonymous said...

So very cute! Your dinner menu would be darling on that too... or Modge Podge on some paper instead of the chalkboard paint...
I think I will be looking for these too now! Adding your site to my reader as I think we could be good junking buddies :)

jae said...

This is a great idea. Makes me want to do a smaller one for each place setting and write their name on them or a different note on each.

Anonymous said...

love it! So creative!

yourstrulydear said...

ooh, great idea!! so fun! :]

Natalie Meester said...

What a great idea! I have a box full of old silver items, I just need to dig some of them out and try this.

Thanks!

Chris said...

This turned out soooo nice! Looks like I'm off to find some old serving trays! Thanks for the idea!

Willow Decor said...

What a wonderful creative idea!! I love it!! You may see a chalkboard tray in my home very soon!
xx-Gina

Southern Fried Gal said...

Hello! Stopping over from Bless Our Nest. What a cute project and your handwriting is gorgeous!

Kate Riley said...

I saw a similar on Bless Our Nest and hopped on over. This is brilliant ! Now I know what to do with my $2 tray from the goodwill.

Many blessings !

Nicole A. said...

Very cute! Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Carrie said...

That looks great! I gotta find me a silver platter!

Roeshel said...

Love it! I have a chalkboard project in the works so I love seeing inspiration! ;) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.